Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Be Still!

Be still pillow
http://www.zazzle.com/be_still_pillow-189978597037349103
We have all heard "Be Still, and know that I am God" we see it on plaques and journal covers, mugs, pillows, wall hangings and on and on. I agree it is a wonderful sentiment that we always need reminding of. But how one reads this scripture can make all the difference. I always saw this scripture out of context and read it more like a whisper. That God was telling me to let go of the hustle and bustle and relax in his assurance. Almost a Calgon moment of sweetness.  The Lord of course wants this rest for us.
http://atlas2.tau.ac.il/
In other scripture Jesus tells us: Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29 KJV. This command is for the person to cast off worldly cares and put on the cares of the Lord, to rest in him. 

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! Psalm 46:10 KJV

This is the Lord speaking to Israel that in all certainty he reigns and that the nations will follow as He decides. Here is the verse in context:
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
He burns the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah


Don't miss when God tells you of himself of his awesome power. I am challenged each time I think of this verse to Stop immediately! Get prostate if need be and Know (as much as my feeble mind can) the God of all nations and  of this universe. 
Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God
Psalm 2:5 KJV

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Psalm 1:7 KJV

This gets me thinking outside of my self and on to God. I am not in control He is.  This is wonderful and this is true refuge. He is saying don't worry about warring "nations" in your life, I am your refuge. I feel it is no whisper, but it is with strength and unimaginable power that he speaks to us. 

I challenge you dear reader that next time you pass by this verse on a pillow or wall plaque not to only see the verse as a sweet sentiment. That in your mind or aloud say it with verve and stout feeling. 
" Be Still and know that I am God"
"I will be exalted among the nations."

Your God is awesome and powerful you can and you will be still in that!

All verses taken from http://www.biblegateway.com/

Linking to:
Teach Me Tuesdays at Growing Home

No comments:

Post a Comment