Thursday, December 6, 2012

Homeschool Transitions


Yesterday was a day of some issues coming to a head. There were tears and struggles and anger. One thing home school does (which I do count as a big blessing) is actually getting to know your kids. I have many goals for homeschooling my children but one was to actually be together during our "best" time of the day. Not just in the afternoon or evening when I have nothing left to give except the basics of food and making sure baths are taken.

We started to home school after making a big move and all this change is more then some of these little hearts can handle. They miss their friends and the interactions. They came from "good" public schools and really enjoyed school. There have been lots of happy moments these past two weeks and I would say they out number the bad right now.

Yesterday after the tears we (including me) went in the back yard and played a game of soccer. That was a definite first this  momma isn't one for sports. Then there was a bike/scooter ride to the play scape in our neighborhood.

Besides the lack of school friends, one little one is having a hard time responding to mommy as teacher. Defiant behavior I know he wasn't displaying at school is showing up during our school time. Scribbling on bookwork, complaining that the work is too hard (then getting all the answers right after he makes even a feeble attempt).

In the middle of all this I have one blissfully happy child who is eating up all this attention from mom.

We will get this all "ironed" out. I am praying for the right church that gives my girl the "friends" experience she needs and I am praying for obedience from my sweet boy.

We did have some fun this week:

The two oldest reading Proverbs, I love to hear the insight they receive.
Cookie baking was fun. I love the little hands in the dough. It was a good activity for older brother to help little sister. 

There were also science experiments this week. Some were in the book and some were impromptu! 
Light and Refraction

Floating and Sinking

Today is a new day and His mercies are new every morning. I type to the sound of kids helping themselves to some cereal and getting the day started. Time for me to get started on another day!



No comments:

Post a Comment